In-app messaging is an often underutilised feature of the mobile marketing toolkit. With in-app messaging, you have the opportunity to reach users who are active and already engaged with your app; a very valuable group in terms of building brand loyalty and retention. Our research has shown that 1 in 5 new mobile users complete registration and never come back. A carefully timed chain of in-app messages post registration could be used to guide the new user around your app and help to reduce that churn.
In-app messaging is valuable for engaging users, delivering promotions, onboarding and feature alerts.
These are direct messages that display to your app or web users only when active and logged-in. Typically these see higher open rates than push notifications as they are delivered when a user is in the app. In-app affords more flexibility and creativity to the marketer as they can be customised in terms of position on screen e.g. top/bottom banner, pop-up or inline, as well as delivery options e.g. timed, triggered on action or app event. Whether or not a user has opted-out of push notifications has no impact on in-app delivery and in-app is messaging particularly applicable for iOS users who have high opt-out rates.
Though useful in all verticals and industries, in-app really comes into its own in the betting and gaming sector. Last year, Accenture reported that “87% of consumers used a second device while watching TV”. Sports has never been more multi-channel than it is today, from the ability to follow multiple games on Twitter to half-time TV ads delivering live odds. In-app marketing is poised to capitalise on this by delivering value and rich user experiences that keep your players coming back time and again.
With that in mind, we’ve put together these use cases for in-app messaging dedicated to sportsbook apps:
- Convert users who are opted out: As mentioned, in-app is an effective way to capture users who are opted-out for push. Android app users are opted-in by default, with iOS, however, the app user must actively opt-in or out via the permissions request on app download. Use a key value proposition with a call-to-action and simple instructions to show players the value of opting-in for your push notifications.
“Don’t miss out! Opt-in for Push Notifications for our best offers, updates, and rewards!”
- Capitalise on real-time events: Use events and behaviours to trigger in-app messages to convert and engage users. Set-up in-app messages to trigger latest betting trends when a player displays an interest in an event. Nurture topical or event-driven bettors with triggered in-app messaging. For example, if you have a promotion that offers cash back on multiples of three legs or more, you can trigger an in-app message informing the user when they have two qualifying markets in their bet slip.
- Drive actions: Tie in with session searches or taps to encourage players to fulfil the bet placement. By targeting players with markets added to their bet slip that are not yet confirmed, you can remind them to place those bets ahead of kick-off.
- Optimise onboarding & user journeys: Use in-app to nudge users to actively complete user journeys. Have you got a new user cycle that needs some reinforcement? Trigger an in-app deposit offer on the second or third session. This gives the user time to understand the value of the app and reminds them of the benefits of registering. In the same way, you can evade churn by identifying user drop-off points and target users with a tailored in-app offer.
- Work around time zone challenges: Within the mobile marketing industry, there are horror stories about push notifications sent at the wrong time. In-app gives mobile marketers a workaround by delivering messaging to your users at a time when they choose. This benefit of in-app comes into its own at times of huge events of international interest that span time zones. Think about European app users following events of the last World Cup in Brazil. Matches kicking off at 22:00 local time could translate as anything up 03:00 European time. Personalised offers for these games sent In-app means they’ll reach players at the time they choose.
“Up late? Watch live streaming of Spain – Netherlands in your app now!”
- Highlight app features: Why build new features into your app if your user doesn’t know about them? Utilise in-app messaging to showcase the latest feature developments or to let users know when a new functionality exists; this could be a new promo page or cash out button. These might not initially appear as the most exciting experiences for in-app, but many users miss updates or are unaware that features exist.
The above are just a few examples of the many ways in which in-app messaging can be used as a key channel to support and enhance your broader CRM plans. In-app messaging reaches a core group of interested players and, combined with real-time user behaviour and event triggers, will serve to boost player loyalty, deliver continuously improving customer experiences and ultimately better business results. One-size-fits-all is not the aim for in-app. Context, personalisation, and timing are key and different messaging will work for different users. With in-app messaging the opportunity to get creative is there, use it!
About Element Wave
Element Wave is the only Mobile Engagement Automation platform built specifically for the iGaming industry. Established in 2010 in Galway, Ireland, we are a next-generation technology & managed services company serving some of the biggest players in the industry. Our multi-award winning company specialises in mobile marketing to combat the growing problem of player churn. Contact us now for a demonstration to see how we can boost your mobile retention.